Tuesday, November 1, 2022

LEAH: TO HANG

Update 11/17: 

This would be about 2 feet tall 

Since I have so many flowers to work with I was thinking I could have one larger 2 foot form and a smaller key holder with the smaller flowers as well.

To avoid the issue of the flowers being imperfect and could cause things to fray I was thinking they could also be more of a key holder instead so nothing would be rubbing on them. I do however have 8 of the flower forms so I have a lot to work with. 

This is an idea for more organic as opposed to minimalistic look. This could also combine the two into a key holder and then the larger holder 






I thought this could be a fun play on a coat hanger. I was thinking I could hammer some sheet metal to be more organic and weld it on to the rod as well. 

The main issue I m currently faced with is that these forms are not friendly for hanging fabric on directly. I have some ball caps but this couldn’t be reason is it’s current sharpness as something people would want to buy for their homes to hang their hats on though the smaller forms are much more rounded out. 

Cierra actually suggested that is could be used as a plant hanger. I really like this idea though I have questions about how it would how the plants I’m a way that is far enough away from the wall so they hang properly though I think it could work well past that. 







  1. Hang 

    Coat rack 

    Shelf 

    Clock 

    Pendulum 

    Garland 

    Mirror 

    Plant hanger


Plant Hangers 



Coat rack- key holder

This could have different ball forms or be more suggestive of nature 



I have decided for my “to hang” project I would like to do a hat/coat rack which will hang off of the wall. Like the example above but with flowers instead of bulbs to follow the floral and abstract ideas from my “to pull” piece. 

To start I got some fake flowers. Then I dipped them in wax to give them some more body so they would be more firm and more likely to pour. 

I laid them out and put oiled sand and baby powder on them to prepare them for the sand mold:


Results of the sand mold and removing the flowers: 




Here are some pictures of the iron flower directly after the iron pour:




1 comment:

  1. Hey Leah,
    I really liked your idea with the more organic stem and leaves. I thought that was an inventive way to integrate the flower with a hanging rack.

    ReplyDelete

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...