Monday, November 28, 2022

Maddison Mahlum: ALL

TO PULL


11/17/2022

I so want these to be drawer pulls Maddison. I could also see these on a dresser that has three small drawers across.


(Bronze cast eyes with unfinished backs)

The main core of my "to pull" is done. That being the bronze cast eyes. They still need small cosmetic buffing and sanding to allow for a more finished peaicepiece.
  • Dremel
  • beadblast
  • drill backing indention for clasp or threaded insert for drawer pulls
  • patina
  • clear coat
  • glue insert or fit clasp
  • attach

The backs still need to be grinded down, to allow for brackets to be attached, so a ribbon can be threaded. 

I am not the most skilled this is why you are in a class -so I help you become more confident, or comfortable with welding of any kind. Thus my original plan was to glue brackets to the back of the flat eyes. If time and accessibility to the steel shop becomes an issue, this may regretfully become the only option. 

Due to the unknown metal content of the brackets, it may be better to fabricate the brackets from scratch. I am not quite sure what material would be best for that at this time.

TO DO:
- grind down the back of two flat eyes
- clean up any blemishes on the eyes
 OPTION A Brackets
- weld the brackets to both eyes
OPTION B Brackets
- Measure eyes
- Fabricate metal brackets
- Weld brackets to both eyes

-Sew and press fabric ribbon
-String together bracketed eyes onto the ribbon

- fix any inevitable issues with the final peace



9/21/2022

Here is a preliminary idea of how I may  sprue and vent the four eyes I plan to cast. I only need three eyes but I want to cast four just to be safe.



9/16/2022

Behold! An eye. The wax is obviously unrefined right now. It does look like a creepy alien parasite right now, which is fun in its own way.



Here is the corresponding two part mold.





9/6/2022

Due to living in a rental, there are not a ton of objects I have the ability to replace without breaking the rental contract. I focused a bit more on things I did have complete control of. 

I thought about what I pull in my daily lives, and most of the things I pull are clothing. I tried to find a way to incorporate Bronze into something wearable. My first plane was to make a headband, with Bronze breaking up the cloth.


Same basic form I also played with the idea of a belt. One of these designs plays with the Victorian hand belt, with different anatomical imagery. the other is a parody of the cartoonish Hollywood western cowboy costume.

In regards to home objects, I considered replacing the pull on my desk lamp, which currently has a simple orb shaped pull. I wanted to make something fun and kitschy. A bit more in keeping with my own style of interior design.


TO HANG

11/17/2022

"to hang" continues to allude me, beat me up, and steal my lunch money. There are many good ideas for what to make, for what people may purchase to hang about their living spaces. I unfortunately have absolutely none.

In a desperate and sleep deprived attempt to come up with something, I went back to one of my earlier ideas for "to pull". That being a dramatic ribbon belt that hangs off the body.

(concept art of the preposed idea. A round Bronze eye is set in the middle)

For this idea I would reuse the third, extra rounded eye I created in the process of creating my "to pull"
(Three bronze eyes. Rounded eye in center bottom)
Maddison look to the wyocourse modules to the to hang powerpoint. You are in casper- think repurpose and go get some found objects at thrift stores there. Fiber? fabric? Retro Maddison?
The reuse of this eye motif would allow for "to hang" and "to pull" to match as one collection. This also cuts down on the increasingly limited time left, as less new items need to be fabricated from scratch.

I don't foresee this idea being very well received. Thus I am open to any ideas at all. Time is limited and my skills even more so, but I want to make something that is still positively received by people.

To do:
- Panic in an endless all consuming infinite void.



9/28/2022

I wont lie to you all, "to hang" was the hardest one of the group to brainstorm for. I don't like hanging a lot of items in my home. Most of the items I considered ended up too "machinable" or "mass produced". Needless to say this was a struggle

Idea #1

Most of these items I've planed were imaged for my own home. This idea would be a gift for my parents. From whom I inherited much of my love for kitsch. I imagine this work as much more sculptural than functional. These metal diptychs are based off of 1950s mass produced signs and valentine illustrations of dogs. This time the dogs in question being my parents dog. One tan pug (Harrison Douglas) and one black pug (Anubis Ray). Yes, knowing their full names does matter. 

These would be made of layers of cut sheet. perhaps laser cut? I don't know what would be best. Then treated to add bright color.

[Note text: 1. Layard laser cut metal. Painted and hung. 2. Two of them in opposite shapes?]

[1950s shaped metal signs]
[1950s dog valentine illustration. Yes I do need it this specific]

Idea #2


This idea is based on brooches and jewelry. Particularly fantastical sword based jewelry. Yet much much larger. I don't know if this design appeals to anyone other than myself but whatever. The sword would be cast in relief. Perhaps two of them back to back. Depending on if I want to hang it on the wall or in the round. Again, I don't know how much of this I can actually make. Who knows.
[Note Text: 1. Can be hung flat on the wall or in the round? 2. Cast metal sword?]





[Fantasy sword designs]

Idea #3


What does one hang? Well, mirrors. You can hang a mirror. Why not? This design is a metal frame with cast elements to decorate it. This is beyond over the top design inspired by art nouveau and items from magical girl manga and anime. I would like these cast parts to be a bright pink or white, but we shall see. 
[Note Text: Cast metal mirror frame]


[Art nouveau mirrors]

[The uniquely ultra feminine style of weapons and magic items in magical girl shows and comics]




TO LIGHT

11/17/2022

(In progress photo of the iron core and the paper star loops)
if you do not like these colors- take from the below image with the green variations. That would look amazing with the iron.


For my to light I'm using a small fraction of the 4500+ paper stars I've made over my short life. When starting this iteration of this project my first idea was to make a radial flat sun-esc design, flush against a wall.
 Love this sketch Maddison

(Concept art of the original iteration)

This was the plan I had started with when stringing up and gluing stars. Two loops with several sunrays coming out from the iron center. The stars were going to be painted white as a basecoat, and then a metallic paint on top. 

After discussing with the class, far more people liked the colorful look of the stars. The manner of hanging was also changed upon class input. 

(Diagrams of the new design and hanging method)

Instead of the iron core being placed vertically, it was recommended to be hung horizontally. From this downward facing loop the circles of stars would be hung down, overlapping. The stars wont be painted, but just left with the mixed color patterns. 

The iron star loop will have three small loops attached to allow it to hang from the celling. 

As per the original plan, a single LED string light would be hung down. The center will be secured with thin wire. Keeping it from shifting about as it is hung.

TO DO:
- Procure an LED string light
- Attach three small loops to the iron star loop for it to hang
- Use thin wire to center the LED string light int he iron star loop

- Strengthen the two star loops already strung
- String together more paper star loops (number amount undecided as of 11/7/2022)
- Glue the new paper star loops, strengthening them and preventing flop
- attach the paper star loops to the iron star loop

- fix any inevitable issues with the final peace



9/28/2022

Idea #1

My first idea is once again returning to my mid century sci-fi imagery. I cant be changed. This idea is a hollow tube, a cast metal rocket, and some sheet metal rocket exhaust. The whole item is suspended from the celling. Can I put these things together cleanly? Who knows, one can dream. The rocket would be hollow with open cavities for windows to allow for a small amount of light to leak through. 

This is light as a design future more than a practical useful light.

[Note text: Hollow cavity with lights shining through the windows]

The design of this rocket exist somewhere between the art of George Lumiere's "A Trip the Moon" and Soviet era space race propaganda.

[Stills from of "A trip to the moon", 1902]

[Soviet era "Space Race" visual design]

Idea #2


Still on the space imagery, this is another suspended light. Leaning into mid century geometry, with some influence from the Eames design style. The lights will be strung through tube to peak out of cavities. Those cavies being covered by paper casted stars and a moon. I do like this idea best, as I think I could maybe make it.

[Note Text: 1. Cast paper over a thin metal armature. 2. Light through the tube. Light shines through the stars and the moon]

[Modern recreation of mid century starburst design]
[Ray Eames's 2d design work]

Idea #3


All of these lights have thus been suspended, so I needed at least one grounded illumination source. This design is obviously based on a globe. The whole earth itself is the light. Being cast paper over a metal frame, painted with minimal vintage earth on the surface. 

The whole globe is held it aloft with hollow metal, also allowing for wiring to be inside. I don't know if I would be able to keep the pivoting mechanic of the globe once the light is added. I'm willing to sacrifice that for the same of a functional light.
[Note text: 1. Would love to keep the pivoting globe, but can be sacrificed. 2. Translucent paper cast over  metal orb armature with light inside]
[Example of the manner of globe I aim to recreate]

3 comments:

  1. Hey Madison,
    Although you likely are not going with the clothing related pull items, I actually find them very fitting to your character and interests! I especially love the belt idea.
    For your lamp pull idea, which design was your favorite? The hollow UFO? I think that could be really successful in its form and casting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madison,
    I really like your ideas for the belt, that is a really interesting way to think about "to pull". I know we talked a bit in class but what is the one you're more drawn to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the moth mirror (duh). I think your nerves can get in the way of exploration, but your ideas are fantastic! It's okay to weld even though you're uncomfortable with it, there's plenty of people who are in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...