Monday, November 28, 2022

Nathan-ALL

 artist/designer influence? 

TO PULL


For my to-pull project, I wanted to create my drawer pulls using inspiration from my grandfather's pottery. I have a display case that I will redo and the pulls I will create for it will be replaced with the old ones. I'm going to use this display case to display his pottery. 

 For his signature on all his work, he creates a small sombrero so The main pulls to the display case will be sombrero handles. Although it is a simple design I decided to add some flair to it because most traditional sombreros are full of complex and colorful designs which I'm hoping to emulate in the bronze.

For the bottom storage drawers, I will create four handles that resembled his pot's form and use patinas to recreate a raku glaze. 

My Artist inspiration was my grandfathers Raku pottery and his signature which is a sombrero.




______________________________________________________________________________


TO HANG

 For my to-hang project, I want to create something to hold one of my monsteras. One of the coolest ways I've seen plants be grown is by using a Japanese technique called Kokedama. “koke” meaning moss and “dama” meaning ball. This art form is centuries old and is branch of the art of Bonsai. It is an accent to the nodes of the plant display where a moss ball is the focal and supporting point for a sculpted tree or plant. This way of growing plants is something I haven't tried yet and I think would be a great way to use To Hang. For my main To Hang element I want to create some sort of figuring that will be climbing on the wall carrying the ball on its back or hanging from attached ropes.  







_________________________________________________________________________________







TO LIGHT

For my To light project I want to create something more natural looking to fit my space. I love the aesthetic of paper lamps and want to create a standing one that seemed to have natural look to it. I will be creating one that has pencil rod inside of it to create the illusion of a tree. I will also be casting frogs and lizards to create a shadow effect that will look like it's sitting on a leaf and is alive inside. these will be placed up against the paper sides. Structurally, for the bottom, I will make a base that will look like roots but function to help keep the lamp sturdy just like the roots of a tree do.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...