Sunday, November 20, 2022

Fabian - to Hang


For this piece, I wanted to make a headset holder that matches my style/liking. I like to play video games when I can and I like to use a headset when playing to get that immersed feeling of the game. But I never had a headset holder, and I always wanted one. Yes, I can simply place it on the countertop but it makes it look like I just tossed it there, and having the headset hanger will make it look nicer and more intentional when I'm not playing games, but as well have it be like one of those objects or weird stuff that gamers have or collect. 
Where are you with the plasma cutting?

The headset holster so to say will be made of steel, or sheet metal to be exact. I would use the plasma cutter to cut out the spaces/shapes as seen below in my sketch. this will also be a formed piece that is U shaped in order to stand, and tri-pod-like feet. the part that the headset will rest on would cradle the headset band, I'm not quite sure what to make this out of that would go well with steel, I was thinking wood but I don't know what kind of wood. Pine? 

After Going to Neltji's house; a talk of Damascus, and Mokume Gane, I got a large interest and making something out of Damascus, I want to do this because of the beautiful pattern that comes with this process. Though I have little to no experience assigned from watching forged in fire and relatively light research, I have the excitement of a dog getting a new toy. Though I know this will be challenging to do it is still something I want to do. I did do some research, primarily You tube and how to make it. Like i will require two types of metal. one that is higher in carbon, and one that has les carbon but more nicle in it. Such as 1095 and 15n20 steel. 
This will not happen as you have barely scratched the surface of steel work and yet want to jump to an advanced skill in blacksmithing. lets back up and see what you can do with fabrication. 

From what I could see watching shows such as Forged in fire, I could get that it is very important to clean the metal before forging it, and when restaking the layers. Another thing that helps keep the mettle metal clean whihleheating while heating up is that the flame has to burn all of the oxeygen that is around it, or have more gass. Which I think was called a neutral burn. 

to make demascus you have these two metals as described befor and you stack them in an alternating partern, suach as 1095, 15n20, 1095, 15n20, 1095, 15n20. from this you get layers or layer counts. taking from the layer example just mention starts with 6. then you forge weld that and use borax/flux to help prevent oxigen getting into the welds. forming a bilit with the comprest layers, you then cut it in half once drawn out, clean up, stack and repet. byt doign this layers go up expan enshaly. start with 6, cut stack then you got 12 layers, then 24, then 48, then 96 and so on, the more layers that more lines and detail you will see. 

Once you have the desierd shape and size you heat the metle up to quenching temp. Quenching is where you dip a forged pice of hardenable metle into oil. In which used car oil works. It will harden the metal and make it stong. to get the Lines you then dip in an Etchign solution, called Feric cloride i belive. Once you take it out wich does not have to be long, you then nutulize it using amonia or water with baking soada. 

This is somthing that i would love to do, but i dont know if all should be demascus including the part that the headset will hang, or have it be wood. 




Examples below. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...