Thursday, November 17, 2022

To Light- Lewis




I have gained insight through exploration I tried a existing lamp and it just didn’t make sense visually. It’s to heavy to hang and honestly my wood working skills could use practice before incorporating  it in a final project . So now I will discuss what will work, and I believe aligns more with my other work. I chose to have the bulb come though my cast iron so I need to construct a structure to lift it . I will weld on a metal box frame out of pencil rod, this will be strong enough to support the weight. I haven’t decided if I will put paper on this part, but I am leaning towards doing so. To have the lamp look complete I will fabricate a top cover out of pencil rod and use the skin and bone technique with paper. A question I have is how to attach the light hardware; I was thinking maybe washers , but I’m looking for advice.

Up to date^


So I completely scrapped my other concepts at least for now. I have created a geometric form out of cast iron . For my concept I will create a wooden frame that mirrors the cast iron half , it is tended to be hung from a chain so it doesn’t need a stand . I have a few happy accidents where metal didn’t fill in entirely but I intend to work with it and use bubble wrap as inspiration. I will include a link to a video that I intend to use the technique of. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjsfQsQoAxv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= This piece Is very likely to cast some interesting shadows , I look forward to seeing it complete. Its interesting the missing spaces kinda align with a common thread among my serious works. An unspoken theme of my work is expressing in one way or another the autistic experience. Missing pieces , interjection of foreign objects, and tension between the interaction of forms, are the major motifs I’m exploring.




For my first concept I was thinking of a hollow sphere with a bunch of triangles cut out, with a single square cut out on the side. I was planning this one to be iron. The scale is around 4in., Could be a maquette or full sized project. I would need to figure out a light source that is bright enough to project light in the cut out shapes.


My second concept is a circular lamp that would also be cast iron, along with paper as a second material.


Artist inspiration:

                                                                    Leucos Lighting:


Galerie Sommerlath:


Joachim Ramin:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...