Monday, November 28, 2022

Amber Shaw_ALL

TO PULL

I'm ready to bead blast and patina it in liver of sulfur. I would like to but "PROMISE" in the mouth and then resin over the top.





Update this Amber. Set the example.


    As discussed, a little bit in class, the finger has not really been done as a drawer pull. My thought is to have it be for a nightstand where a journal or bible would be kept. Any drawer that would hold valuable items really. The drawer pull would be a bent pinky to hook your pinky into as if to pinky swear. I was going to do a straight finger but then I thought, knowing my luck, I would always be hitting it as I walked by. Not only that but as a kid, my siblings and I would pinky promise not to snitch on each other if we thought we were going to get in trouble. Then I thought about a time when my brother read my journal and was going to tell my mom that I had it. I promised I would not tell mom about him sneaking out if he wouldn’t tell her about my journal. Deal. It was sealed with a pink promise. Therefore, it is only appropriate that I name this piece “Pinky Promise”. Thanks for the talk, Cerra. I could see the pinky attached to a circle or oval plate with the title. The pinky could also be screwed straight to the drawer. I want it to be slightly turned so that it would lock with the pinky that is opening it. Maybe it could be interlocking pinkies for the pull instead of one? 


Dimensions: 32" x 13" x  30 3/4"
Drawer size: 15" x 4 1/2"
handle holes: 3 1/16" apart (Tap & Die) 





Ready to sprue!!





TO HANG?

 I need to pick one of these and get going on it. Ilike the middle one and the bottom right corner. Anyone else have a favorite. I was thinking octopus like tentacles that would hook the handle in. The colander could be easily taken of the hanger and used and then put back. I also thought it would be cool to hang out over a sink if needed to hang and drip.





TO LIGHT

This is what I have so far. Ashley and I have talk about the next steps, but I was wondering what all you thought about the three lights and maybe doing a paper casting of insulators?







Why this?

I wanted to do this voltage tower because it is the way that my son knows where he is between Riverton and Laramie every other weekend for visitation. These are in Rawlins and are a very large landmark my son loves to look at. He had me go off the path to get photos of them even. I think this is also talking about the way that we adapt to live as comfortable as we can. Much like me going to school and raising my son.

#1 Idea

    Sunflowers!! So I would have a 'bunch' of sunflowers with a long stand and a square platform. I thought of Ashley's sculpture piece that had all the pieces but not one stood up by itself. Sunflowers grow in groups and support each other against the wind and the rain. This is true with humans as well when it comes to communities, relationships, friends, and families. I would like all the centers of the sunflowers to glow to symbolize the strength in numbers. Along with the centers, the armature of the petals has some light and connects the end of one petal to the next. I think this would be great if I could incorporate resin around the center brown part of the sunflowers, where the petals connected to the center. It would glow and reflect the light well. The sunflowers would be the actual size of a real one. About 5-6" full bloom and stand about 4-6' tall. 








#2 Idea

    Again Sunflower!!  This one sunflower would hang from the ceiling and be bigger. the center would hold a light. An inset light that moves to focus on an area, much like the sunflower grows to follow the sun. The light itself would be painted brown and textured to blend into the center of the flower. The lights I have researched are about 5.5" and have a cord long enough to thread through a hollow steel rod. The resin would still be in this one outlining the center and hiding the connections of the petals. The petals are light and irredundant with a thin armature. I could see this being smaller too like bar lighting with multiples (3).








#3 Idea

    Octopus!! As I was looking at light bulbs, there were these crazy round lights that drew me in. If I could make an octopus hold one of them that would be visually pleasing. The light reminds me of the algae that glow at night in the ocean. It also gives me that relaxing sleep vibe, and night light feeling. The octopus would be full of color to accent the light. I think of the octopus's life undersea and how elegant they are with their movements. They have a softness to the way they move in the water and crawl on the sea bed.





Inspirational artists
  • Lee Bontecou
  • Jose de Riviera
  • Tomohiro Inaba
  • Selia Smith
  • Ricki Herzog
  • Beau Bats


5 Pictures of welded metal









 
I would like to do the three insulators in resin so that the light shines through, but I need an iron element. So... they can be in iron too. 





3 comments:

  1. Do you have the drawer to measure/use? Think about using the whole hand with the pinky extended so we know it is the pinky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will get the dresser from Ft. Collins this weekend. It is a small nightstand with one drawer. It is from my childhood so it is well loved. yes using both pinkies will also allow for more of an oblong shape to play with the words.

    ReplyDelete

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...