Sunday, September 4, 2022

Cierra Roberts_TO PULL

September 21,2022








September 17, 2022

Updates on the wax forms 





September 13, 2022 

I had an idea after our class discussion today and I made some sketches. I was thinking of doing the full figure as the bell rather than doing relief. 


In process photos






September 8, 2022

I have decided to go with the bell where the  figure is carved in relief. This form and concept resonates with me more than the other ideas especially considering the work I have made in the past. I started casting the mold for the bell form, Ill then be carving the figure onto the wax cast. 


September 3, 2022

For "to pull" I was considering doing a bell. My family has always had bells and windchimes around our houses. I never really questioned why but this item has always been something that made the house feel more like home. I do not currently live in a house but rather in a community apartment, so having the bell on my door allows me to know when someone is entering my room and my roommates like to jingle it rather than knock. The bell I currently have is small and doesn't really have an option to pull. This is something I would like to improve and make differently. 


After searching for decorative bells I found many ideas on Pinterest (unfortunately without an artist). The idea of the bell is a specific shape and the holder correlating with that shape is appealing to me. 




I really enjoy the simplicity of design with this specific bell as well as the little knocker. 


These are the bells in my grandma's house, they were in the house when they bought it in 1960. These are the bells I assume started the tradition. 

Ideas: 
This one was my sketch to understand exactly how the bell works and plays with different forms. 




These are some of the figurative ideas that I wanted to throw out into the blog universe. I think that I'm more attracted to these ideas and the flower idea. The one with the figure in the bell, the same figure would wrap all the way around in relief form. This would be a similar idea for the face, it would also be in relief on the bell body. For the hand, it would be one hand holding the bell going up and slowly changing into roots. 



3 comments:

  1. So what I found about a bell: a bell is one of the most reliable tools for energetic housekeeping – simply ringing a bell around a room or your house yanks (yangs) energy up and immunizes your space from wonky, unwanted vibes. I prefer the figurative bell- maybe you taking the form and carving a figure into the wax? Its beautiful, thoughtful, and thought provoking. The hand is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cierra,
    The figural ideas you have with the bell really speak to your work as a whole and your love of incorporating the human figure into your artwork. Those drawings and ideas reflect you the most as an artist and the themes of your work. I think that the bell with the hand over it is not something I have either seen or thought of before and I really like it aesthetically. I think that the hunched bell figure really speaks to your work during the spring semester and leaves me asking a lot of questions. I also think that the piece the bell hangs from in this drawing is visually appealing to your eye following the line and the curves. I also think the obsidian really relates back to you and I remember when I first met you and you wore obsidian every day. You have put a lot of really good thought into your ideation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the person inside the bell for the clapper? What other materials are you thinking about using instead of bronze? Maybe think about using a wrap or cord to decorate the hanger and tie it to the clapper cord for a balance of material.

    ReplyDelete

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...