Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Rachel To hang

The first artist I found was Frank Plant. He incorporates steel lines and sheets in his work which often depicts figures. While his images are flat, the cutouts and use of lines give the sculptures more depth. 

Another artist I chose for inspiration is Vaughn Randall. He uses cutouts, often with radial symmetry throughout many of his sculptures. He also has a series of boats with wheels and other machines that implement the symmetry of his other sculptures. 





For my To Hang project, I want to make a coat rack with four hooks on the bottom for coats and jackets and four hooks higher for hats or keys. The hooks I could cast out of iron and possibly add embellishments. My first idea is to incorporate  Frank Plant's use of steel sheets and pencil rods. In an abstract mountain landscape. I would like to layer the sheets with the mountains that are farther away to create a sense of depth and differentiate the layers of each mountain. Some of the mountains will be open creating negative space, some will be solid sheets of steel, and for others I would do something to add texture. The piece would be 3-4 feet long and 1 1/2 feet tall and hang on a wall. This idea might be a little cliche and done already, but it is something that I would put in the entryway of my house. 


My other, more simple idea is to only make cast iron hooks. I would make four single hooks that are tree inspired. One is a pine tree, aspen, a small branch with leaves, and a pinecone. I am not set on those four things specifically but something along those lines. I don't like this idea as much as my first one but I think it would take much less time and I would still use these hooks. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...