Monday, September 26, 2022

Kristen- To Hold

5 Photos of Steel Welds:








 08/31 

        I am at an interesting point while taking this class that has a strong emphasis on furniture items. I am in the process of finding an apartment and moving out after a break up. With this, I want to start fresh with how I've decorated and it is influencing my ideas I am producing and the items I find online that intrigue me. I would describe my current bedroom style as an attempt of muted pastel florals. What I am inspired by right now and want to change to is vibrant moss. I love the analogous colors yellow, yellow-green, and green with the occasional pop of color that relates to a blossom. 

        My interest in moss could be analyzed for it's symbolism. Moss is a sign of decay, but it's also growing life. It breaks down wood or manages to grow on rocks. Moss is adaptable just like I am on this episode of existence. 

        I'm interested in exploring forms that could help with issues I experience, and I am sure other's experience as well. The first one is I deal with migraines. I am super sensitive to light and harsh, cool toned lights are a nightmare. Soft, warm toned lights that are diffused (like through a paper lantern or frosted glass) are so much kinder on my eyes and allow me to work longer. I get migraines upwards of four times a week (My doctor enjoys seeing me regularly to try and work this out). Lights are a direct influence on my ability to work, so I am interested in exploring how to make lights more Kristen friendly.

        Another issue I am intrigued by is my recent allergy discovery to dust mites. Again, my doctor adored my visit and we had a discussion about what I can do to dust mite-proof my apartment. At the top of the list is no pets and no upholstered furniture. 1) I love my pets and I would suffer head to toe rashes if it means I keep them. I'll just have to do more frequent baths for them. 2) I love squishy furniture. I love lounging and melting into a plush couch or walking on soft carpets or rugs. 3) I am a clutter core kind of man. I don't want to live in a soulless minimal box. I've got stuffed animals, yarn, movies, books, many things that I keep around. It also turns out dust mites are also very clutter core. Frequently washing plush items like rugs helps to minimize dust mites. Working with materials that can easily be maintained, is well ventilated, but still soft and comfortable is a function I am very interested in researching.

        

        To Hold



Last Iron Pour I made these iron wings (and bronze):



        Last Iron Pour I made these wings. I took molds off of wings I sewed, embroidered, and stuffed with sand. They cold just, but I actually love how it makes the wings look. It looks like moths when their wings are frayed. Making just one set of wings in fabric takes forever, but multiple sets would make a gorgeous bowl. The top drawing is a quick sketch of generic wing shapes. I could sand mold a bunch of wings in the shaped of a bowl, and cast it in Iron. I am planning on there being cold shuts that fray in a sense the bowl.
    This could be used as a fruit bowl (pending food safety) or a very nice statement table piece. Or, I could hang it just like my above cast wings (too heavy).
    I'm think of this being at minimum a twelve inch bowl.

        I came across the work of Alexandra Kehayoglou who does textile based works.




        I came across the stool first and was so happy to find the photo was credited. I've been seeing these "3D Rugs" on Etsy that are selling for $500 for a three foot rug, so seeing this artist make work out of this idea I keep seeing and liking was perfect timing.



Lionel Jadot

    This chair is credited as the 
“Sit In My Valley" Lounge Chair by Lionel Jadot. One quick search and it sold for $6,600. I just love the texture and want to become a swamp hag in this chair. 


        And of course I had to include Jadot's next iteration “Sit In My Valley II." Looking at his work, I am not a fan of the stark differences in the legs. I feel I want the illusion that I am a swamp hag living in a spooky swamp, I don't want to be reminded that I am human and allergic to microscopic bugs and every time I have a rash, I have those bugs on me. Perhaps that grounding can still be important to me. 






        There is so much texture is these three fabrics and I am in awe. I am most likely touch starved, hence my fixation on textures. Using an array of mundane materials seems intriguing when trying to emulate Mother Nature. Materials include yarn, texture fabrics, and stuffed objects.

 Coming Soon to To Hold: A bean bag chair that has a plush cover made up of modules of moss and rock crafted out of fiber. It will be very lumpy. Idea is currently being drawn

        Now ready: The previously described image.

        I was inspired by the bean bag chair in the Senior Studio. The exterior feels like the same material as seat belts and is not the softest. By creating a cover with plush modules it would change the rectangular form to be more organic as well as soften it. To keep it functional, a zipper would allow it to be easily taken off and washed to keep the allergies at bay.

            I have one of these and the wicket material is a disaster at the base. It was never properly attached. I could instead of the rectangle bean back, create the most lump texture to work with this "Swivel Moon Chair" as I love to call it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...