Thursday, September 1, 2022

Jodie - to light

Plasma cutter - to light
So, in class you mentioned if we were going to change our "to light" idea, to do it now. So, I did... Sort of. It wasn't until you said this and after demo-ing the plasma cutter again that a few proverbial lightbulbs went off. So, at the very end of the day when I had time, I went down the plasma cutter rabbit hole looking for ideas. I have loved the look of Cal Lane's art since I first saw it. It wasn't until yesterday that it fully clicked that I could create something similar, and not just "pretend" it was the same with the bullet holes as with my previous idea (scroll down). So, I am attaching a few ideas I took screen shots of. A shovel will not be my project, I am just attaching them for the ideas on how these artists use space and the cutting of shapes that keeps the piece all together. I am pondering the idea of a round wreath like piece that has a solar light behind it for a subtle mood lighting for our yard. Or, perhaps turning it into a table with a light under it. I will spend more time today rummaging in my yard for things I could cut up and add these later today. I was so excited about this concept that I couldn't sleep! Thank you for the knowledge you are imparting to my brain. It is sooooo excited to learn how to do something that I've admired for years.
I wrote a wee bit about each pic too.

I know I have something rusty and round, I'll bring it in to see if it could be cut up, or if there is a reason it can't be...

This is a the idea the spurred a table with a light. 

I love the shadows that the light casts...

Again, I have the round piece, and ponder if this was sitting on the ground with a solar light behind it...

What might I have that I could cut up....I will look and post accordingly later today!



Another table, the only one I saw, so maybe making the legs out of steel and welding them on?

Ideas about cutting out shapes so the piece stays together

I was thinking water and waves (go figure!) and the fabric part of this would help me figure out how to cut and create this idea.





A stunning "to light" idea



I wonder what would happen if I did this to my fire pit that is more "upside down dome" shaped....



Patio lighting
We do not have any shade trees in our yard anymore. The deck on the southwest side of the house is where we used to hang out in the summer, it's waaaaayyyyy too hot now that it just broils in the sun all day long. As a result, I've been slowly turning the driveway into a patio. We were out there a few weeks ago with a friend who lives in Spain, and as we chatted into the night, it was odd chatting in total darkness. I thought a bit of mood lighting would be nice and came up with this idea. 
I have 2 old gas (?) cans I found on the prairie near town that are shot full of bullet holes. I envision hanging these with solar lights for mood lighting in our side yard. The bullet holes in these rusty things remind me of the artist Cal Lane and how she cuts lace like patterns into rusty oil drums.
Her lace shovels first caught my attention years ago when I was a landscaper/gardener. I love everything about them. The delicate lace and flower pattern crafted from something so sturdy and utilitarian. This shovel also reminds me of the faces my friend Mike Lowham makes out of old shovels. I don't have any pics of these...

My old, bullet hole ridden gas cans. While not as graceful as Cal's work, I knew they would become "chandeliers" the minute I saw them!

Top view
Bottom view
This is a double "bird feeder" pole in my front yard that I tried these on to see about scale and if I like them. I do! I will fabricate something similar that has more wavy curves perhaps. 
The one on the left does not have a hand, so I'll wire one around it so it hang and can sway in the wind. 


Before I went too far down the rabbit hole of designing the pole for hanging this, I wanted to see if the solar lights would give the feeling I was going for. It isn't as bright as I had first thought, and I am ok with the subtle look and think if I loosely stuff the string of lights in these that it will be a bit brighter than the ball of them...
I have yet to learn tons about casting, so if it's possible, I'd like to cast at least one yucca pod for this project. I have used these in my sculptures in the past and I would love to see one cast in iron. I see these daily on my dog walks and have had yucca growing in my yard my whole life. They were such important plants to the Native Americans, and while I've never used them as a paint brush or fiber to make shoes, I respect how versatile and hardy these plants are. And these native plants don't need much water to survive, making me all that much happier for the little moisture we do get, to support plants that need more.



I first thought of hanging them like this, but I don't have a support to hang them from, so my neighbor suggested using a "bird feeder pole".




Another lighting idea...
I have 13 of these turquoise insulators, I've pondered solar lights for years, and then saw this in one of Ash's books




1 comment:

  1. I really like the red-dot slides, and I think it would be a great idea to correlate your project to your dad's work - it would make it a lot more meaningful. You could cut out paper, or use fabric and stitch it into a similar white background. That pattern looks like a helix or something.

    ReplyDelete

Corinne Whaley_ ALL

  UPDATE TO PULL: December 6, 2022 Here is the finished "To Pull" with patinated bronze. It is a door knocker. Here is the applica...